- A daughter of the ruling monarch of Spain or Portugal, especially the eldest daughter who was not heir to the throne.More example sentences
- The peace was sealed the next year by the marriage of the king to the infanta Maria Theresa, thereby giving him and his heirs potential claims on the throne of Spain.
- But minor skirmishes continued and in 1625 Charles I, having been rebuffed by the infanta of Spain, sent in an expeditionary force commanded by Sir Edward Cecil to Andalucía.
- At the very least, it can be stated that fathers who characterized themselves as playing an active role in the caretaking of their infant also described their relationship with their infantas positive and secure.
late 16th century: Spanish and Portuguese, feminine of infante.
More definitions of infantaDefinition of infanta in:
- The US English dictionary