Extremely small: an infinitesimal pause
More example sentences
- I seek leave to table from the New England Journal of Medicine a recent definitive study showing that intellectual impairment of children can occur even with extremely infinitesimal amounts of lead.
- It was a pause so infinitesimal that I almost didn't catch it, but I knew what I glimpsed.
- Minute, infinitesimal amounts of chemical contaminants crossing the placenta can cause cancer in young adults decades later.
microscopic, nanoscopic, barely perceptible, imperceptible, inappreciable, indiscernible, invisible to the naked eye;
British informal titchy
North American informal little-bitty
An indefinitely small quantity; a value approaching zero.
- These two concepts, infinitesimals and infinite quantities, however, were stirring great philosophical dilemmas.
- The book shows how this notion can be used to form various kinds of infinities such as the projective plane, transfinite numbers, and infinitesimals.
- Also in 1786 he again worked on his ideas for the differential and integral calculus, giving a new treatment of infinitesimals.
- Example sentences
- The design of the pipeline means that the risk of such an event or any other type of gas escape is infinitesimally small.
- In fact, leaving aside the infinitesimally small world of math geniuses, there isn't any evidence that men are more intelligent than women, and no one seriously says so.
- At their best they became monolithic tomes - bunkers for content, guides updated haphazardly that infinitesimally accrete ‘content’.
Words that rhyme with infinitesimaldecimal
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: in|fini|tesi¦mal
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.