- 1Relating to or causing inflammation of a part of the body: inflammatory cells inflammatory diseasesMore example sentences
- Ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease are idiopathic inflammatory disorders of unknown aetiology.
- Fistulae may result from localized infection or indicate inflammatory bowel disease.
- Lupus is a chronic inflammatory disease in which your immune system attacks some of your own cells.
- 2(Especially of speech or writing) arousing or intended to arouse angry or violent feelings: inflammatory remarksMore example sentences
provocative, provoking, inflaming, incendiary, inciting, agitating, stirring, rousing, instigative, fomenting; like a red rag to a bull; rabble-rousing, demagogic, hate-mongering, seditious, mutinous, revolutionary, rebellious, insurgent, anarchic; fiery, passionate, emotional, emotive; controversial, contentious
- Some journalists have attacked the inflammatory speeches of some imams.
- He was charged with making inflammatory speeches and inciting people to violence.
- We can only speculate as to why Mr Townend chose to deliver his inflammatory speech when he did.