- 1Having a relaxed, friendly, or unofficial style, manner, or nature: an informal atmosphere an informal agreement between the two companiesMore example sentences
- It is an army establishment and although run on military lines the atmosphere is easy, informal and friendly.
- The atmosphere is relaxed, informal and friendly.
- The service throughout was extremely friendly and the informal atmosphere was enhanced by the fact that we felt we could have sat there all afternoon if we had wanted to.
- 1.1(Of dress) casual; suitable for everyday wear: the guys wore very informal clothesMore example sentences
- Cate nodded and slipped out of her informal dress that she had worn all day.
- He liked jazz, preferred informal dress, didn't much care for hunting and shooting, and was openly contemptuous of red carpets.
- Dress is informal and music will be provided by the Brose Walsh Band.
- 2Denoting the grammatical structures, vocabulary, and idiom suitable to everyday language and conversation rather than to official or formal contexts.More example sentences
- The content of websites can be written in formal as well as informal language.
- The blend of formal and informal language suits the school's mission and vision perfectly.
- And what about informal and formal names for living things?
- 3(Of economic activity) carried on by self-employed or independent people on a small scale, especially unofficially or illegally: Peru’s huge and dense informal sector of street vendors and cottage industriesMore example sentences
- There is no longer any mystery as to why so much economic activity in developing countries is in the informal sector.
- In Peru's informal economic sector, street vendors sell anything from food to flowers.
- It is believed that these informal sector activities create significant employment opportunities.
- More example sentences
- The works are simply framed and labels with the title and price are informally stuck on the wall with sticky tape.
- Yet most donors tie the bulk of their aid, formally and informally.
- For companies and executives, blogs provide a way to talk informally to customers, vendors and employees.