Definition of infrared in English:
1(Of electromagnetic radiation) having a wavelength just greater than that of the red end of the visible light spectrum but less than that of microwaves. Infrared radiation has a wavelength from about 800 nm to 1 mm, and is emitted particularly by heated objects.
- Terahertz light is a little-studied realm of the electromagnetic spectrum between microwave and infrared light.
- It isn't hot enough to radiate UV rays but it does radiate in the visible and infrared parts of the electromagnetic spectrum.
- The sight does not emit visible or infrared light (except from the eyepiece) that can be detected by the enemy.
1.1(Of equipment or techniques) using or concerned with infrared radiation: infrared cameras
More example sentences
- A dozen Army Technical Officers using high speed boats swooped on the Island and made a thorough search of the area using sophisticated infrared equipment.
- But if that storm clears in time, the jets were going to get out with some infrared equipment and help with the search starting tomorrow.
- The lights were filmed March 5 by pilots using infrared equipment.
noun[mass noun] Back to top
The infrared region of the spectrum; infrared radiation.
- Wavelengths of light in this region of the spectrum cause heating so blocking infrared reduces unwanted rays from the sun.
- But what is so special about water that makes its absorptions extend all the way from the far infrared to the near ultraviolet?
- By mid-century, inroads were also being made into the near infrared.
Definition of infrared in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan