- 1The action of breaking the terms of a law, agreement, etc.; violation: copyright infringement [count noun]: an infringement of the rulesMore example sentences
- The dismemberment is done in visualization only, hence there is no infringement of the rule of conduct.
- Related to the quality issue are proposals to change the damages awarded for infringement.
- Criminal proceedings were brought in the United Kingdom for infringement of fisheries legislation.
- 2The action of limiting or undermining something: the infringement of the right to privacy [count noun]: this bill is an infringement of our civil libertiesMore example sentences
- Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
- Three families in France have won, on appeal, monetary damages for infringement of their childrens' rights not to have been born.
- Unjustified, or even accidental infringements of the privilege erode the public's confidence in the fairness of the criminal justice system.