Definition of ingenious in English:
- We are ingenious and we make great things, be it art, music or inventions.
- It was an unfortunate combination of poor building design and a couple of bright minds ingenious enough to take advantage of it.
- What you have to believe is that humans are a very inventive and ingenious species.
- An English geologist has come up with one of the most ingenious ideas yet suggested.
- Using the concept of tax relief as the means of reparation is also an ingenious idea.
- The company has a reputation for inventive adaptations, ingenious design and musical innovation.
- Example sentences
- In fact, all you need is a reasonable grasp of physics and electrical engineering to appreciate the ingeniousness of microwave weapons.
- The ingeniousness of tatami is realised as a square is removed to reveal the pit, which naturally is black lacquer with seasonal embossed images.
- Justin soon realized the ingeniousness of this.
engine from Middle English:
Engine is from Old French engin, from Latin ingenium ‘talent, device’, the source also of ingenious (Late Middle English). Like many English words that now start with en-, it could also be spelled in-. Its original senses were ‘ingenuity, cunning’, and ‘natural talent, wit, genius’, which survives in Scots as ingine. From there it became ‘the product of ingenuity, a plot, or snare’, and also ‘a tool or weapon’, specifically a large mechanical weapon, such as a battering ram or heavy catapult, constructed by engineers (Middle English). By the first half of the 17th century something like our idea of an engine had arisen, a fairly complex device with moving parts that worked together.
Words that rhyme with ingeniousgenius, heterogeneous, homogeneous
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.