Definition of inhibitor in English:
1A thing which inhibits someone or something.
- The tort threat and the threat of criminal prosecution after a crime has been committed are the most reliable inhibitors of criminal aggression.
- Why don't we just put speed inhibitors in all new cars?
- When those rust inhibitors lose their effectiveness, the inside of the radiator can start to corrode.
1.1A substance which slows down or prevents a particular chemical reaction or other process or which reduces the activity of a particular reactant, catalyst, or enzyme.
- Moreover, inhibition of the cysteine protease activity by chemical inhibitors suppressed the leaf senescence process.
- Enzyme inhibitors traditionally target the active site by matching its steric, hydrogen binding, and charge constraints.
- Maturation induced by xanthine oxidase was prevented by allopurinol, an inhibitor of xanthine oxidase activity, and by N-acetylcysteine.
1.2 Scots Law A person who takes out an inhibition.
Definition of inhibitor in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan