Definition of inhibitor in English:
1A thing which inhibits someone or something.
- The tort threat and the threat of criminal prosecution after a crime has been committed are the most reliable inhibitors of criminal aggression.
- Why don't we just put speed inhibitors in all new cars?
- When those rust inhibitors lose their effectiveness, the inside of the radiator can start to corrode.
1.1A substance which slows down or prevents a particular chemical reaction or other process or which reduces the activity of a particular reactant, catalyst, or enzyme.
- Moreover, inhibition of the cysteine protease activity by chemical inhibitors suppressed the leaf senescence process.
- Enzyme inhibitors traditionally target the active site by matching its steric, hydrogen binding, and charge constraints.
- Maturation induced by xanthine oxidase was prevented by allopurinol, an inhibitor of xanthine oxidase activity, and by N-acetylcysteine.
1.2 Scots Law A person who takes out an inhibition.
Definition of inhibitor in:
- US English dictionary