Definition of injector in English:
1A person or thing that injects something.
- Almost three-quarters of intravenous drug users who were previously imprisoned reported that they had injected three or more years ago, compared with 36% of injectors among new entrants.
- Figures published earlier this year showed that the number of heterosexual Scots being diagnosed as HIV-positive had risen to record levels, overtaking figures for people in high-risk groups such as homosexuals and drug injectors.
- In their march into Iraq, U.S. Marines discovered Iraqi chemical-biological protection suits and field-syringe injectors filled with a nerve-gas antidote.
1.1 (also fuel injector) (In an internal-combustion engine) the nozzle and valve through which fuel is sprayed into a combustion chamber.
- The fuel injector may include a valve body which has longitudinal axis.
- A fuel injector is nothing more than an electronically controlled valve.
- Extreme heat can also cause wear and tear faster than expected so your Volvo fuel injector must be highly resistant to extreme temperatures.
1.2(In a steam engine) a system of nozzles that uses steam to inject water into a pressurized boiler.
- Later, top-feed was introduced, shown by two pipes from the injectors circling the boiler to ‘clack valves’ whence the feed water was able to trickle down a series of trays, mixing with the steam and avoiding much scaling of the metal.
- That means short water inlet, short water outlet up to the bundle, short condensate return to heat the tender, but longer piping for the steam to run the pump, and a full-length pipe for cold water all the way back to the injector.
- Pumps are more common in warm climates as the injector depends on a temperature difference, i.e. the feed water as cold as possible.
Definition of injector in:
- US English dictionary