Definition of injurious in English:
1Causing or likely to cause damage or harm: food which is injurious to health
More example sentences
- For a publication to be objectionable, it must deal with matters such as sex, horror, crime, cruelty, or violence in such a manner that the availability of a publication is likely to be injurious to the public good.
- A publication may be age restricted if it is likely to be injurious to the public good.
- Smoking is injurious to health but passive smoking can be more harmful.
1.1(Of language) maliciously insulting; libellous.
- He claimed that the letters from the defendants were defamatory, malicious and injurious as they were calculated to damage the name, political standing and reputation.
- The alleged torts of injurious falsehood, unlawful interference with economic relations, and negligence would have been committed in New York and the law of New York would apply to those causes of action.
- Common law provides a remedy for injurious falsehoods, actions that are sometimes known as business disparagement lawsuits.
- Example sentences
- ‘The important thing is that we recognise that work can be stressful, but should not be injuriously so,’ he said.
- It is not necessary, in my judgment, to prove that every member of the class has been injuriously affected; it is sufficient to show that a representative cross-section of the class has so been affected for an injunction to issue.
- Let us assume for the purposes of debate that the case is one where, if a stay does not go, the subject matter of the litigation will be so injuriously affected as to amount effectively to its destruction.
- Example sentences
- If you've been following the discussion re paraglider and hang glider accident rates and injuriousness, you'll see that we've been discussing the rates for medical emergency insurance (especially travel insurance).
- The first four poems repeat ideas from the second section, which compared rocks with sins, such as the shame, impudency and injuriousness shared by rocks and sinners.
- I have published a few articles now on the question of the relative rates of injuriousness between hang gliding and paragliding.
Words that rhyme with injuriouscurious, furious, luxurious, penurious, perjurious, spurious, sulphureous (US sulfureous), usurious
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.