1A person living in an institution such as a prison or hospital: inmates of the Louisiana State Penitentiary
More example sentences
- In recent times, actions against prison authorities by inmates have become increasingly common.
- The next crime for which I would sanction the death penalty is the murder of either a prison officer or another inmate whilst serving a life sentence.
- It is a prison that does not require these new powers to allow prison officers to control inmates.
1.1 archaic One of several occupants of a house.
- When asked about reality television she tells me she was interested in Big Brother when Germaine Greer was an inmate of the house.
- There is a wonderful scene at the start of Lukas Moodysson's film when the inmates of the house argue about the washing up.
- The interiors of these houses and their inmates corresponded with the exteriors.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: in¦mate
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.