- 1A person living in an institution such as a prison or hospital: inmates of the Louisiana State PenitentiaryMore example sentences
- In recent times, actions against prison authorities by inmates have become increasingly common.
- The next crime for which I would sanction the death penalty is the murder of either a prison officer or another inmate whilst serving a life sentence.
- It is a prison that does not require these new powers to allow prison officers to control inmates.
- 1.1 • archaic One of several occupants of a house.More example sentences
- When asked about reality television she tells me she was interested in Big Brother when Germaine Greer was an inmate of the house.
- There is a wonderful scene at the start of Lukas Moodysson's film when the inmates of the house argue about the washing up.
- The interiors of these houses and their inmates corresponded with the exteriors.