Definition of inmate in English:
1A person living in an institution such as a prison or hospital: inmates of the Louisiana State Penitentiary
More example sentences
- In recent times, actions against prison authorities by inmates have become increasingly common.
- The next crime for which I would sanction the death penalty is the murder of either a prison officer or another inmate whilst serving a life sentence.
- It is a prison that does not require these new powers to allow prison officers to control inmates.
1.1 archaic One of several occupants of a house.
- When asked about reality television she tells me she was interested in Big Brother when Germaine Greer was an inmate of the house.
- There is a wonderful scene at the start of Lukas Moodysson's film when the inmates of the house argue about the washing up.
- The interiors of these houses and their inmates corresponded with the exteriors.
Words that rhyme with inmateshipmate • acclimate
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan