noun[usually as modifier]
- The area near the centre of a city, especially when associated with social and economic problems: inner-city areasMore example sentences
- Demographers have begun to note movements of black people from inner-city areas to leafier suburbs as they become more affluent.
- Racial problems had been restricted to inner-city areas in a few large cities.
- Many of these surplus places are in the inner-city area with the highest levels of social deprivation.
More definitions of inner cityDefinition of inner city in:
- The US English dictionary