- Each division of a game during which both sides have a turn at batting.More example sentences
- Interesting timing, because if you're going to cut the game short, it seems only fair to announce it before a full inning, so both sides have fair warning.
- Casey, who grew up near Pittsburgh, says he thought a lot about batting in the first inning of the first game at a new stadium in his hometown.
- Then in the seventh inning, the center fielder singled home the go-ahead run.
Old English innung 'a putting or getting in', related to in. The current sense dates from the mid 19th century.
More definitions of inningDefinition of inning in:
- The US English dictionary