- 1Not consisting of or deriving from living matter.More example sentences
- It is no more than a cleverly crafted lump of inorganic matter; its shape and working parts are contrived to facilitate the intended function: the switching around of the circuitry in clearly defined ways.
- The term ‘fossil’ was used here to mean any object dug up, including minerals and inorganic materials as well as fossils in the modern sense.
- Try to collect inorganic material that will not rot.
- 2 Chemistry Relating to or denoting compounds which are not organic (broadly, compounds not containing carbon).More example sentences
- Similarly, if the compound is inorganic, an organic solvent, such as water, is needed.
- Under sulphur-deficient conditions, reduced protein synthesis is accompanied by the accumulation of organic and inorganic nitrogenous compounds.
- Both organic and inorganic compounds experience elimination reactions.
- More example sentences
- Magnetite is produced inorganically on Earth, but the magnetite crystals produced by magnetotactic bacteria are very different - they are chemically pure and defect-free, with distinct sizes and shapes.
- The variable thickness of the apparent microgranular layer leads us to suspect that it is in fact an irregular rind of inorganically precipitated, cavity-lining, calcite cement.
- The hinge is particularly useful in containers that require bending of various container parts, such as in food containers and boxes made from inorganically filled materials.