Impossible to understand or interpret: Guy looked blankly inscrutable
More example sentences
- An inscrutable and incomparably powerful force permeates the Universe and binds it together.
- It is not some mysterious, inscrutable relation that beliefs bear to facts, whatever they might be.
- There is something inscrutable about the dragon, something that cannot be understood.
enigmatic, unreadable, impenetrable, mysterious, impossible to interpret, cryptic;
unexpressive, inexpressive, emotionless, unemotional, expressionless, impassive, blank, vacant, deadpan, dispassionate
mysterious, inexplicable, unexplainable, incomprehensible, beyond comprehension, beyond understanding, impossible to understand, unintelligible, impenetrable, unfathomable, fathomless, opaque, puzzling, perplexing, baffling, bewildering, confusing, abstruse, arcane, obscure
- Example sentences
- He stopped and turned back to look at her, not with a quizzical expression because he was trained not to display his emotions but with a stony face of impenetrable inscrutability.
- McQueen's beautiful, monosyllabic, slightly smug inscrutability is exemplified in his two major roles of 1968, the millionaire thief Thomas Crown and the almost silent cop Frank Bullitt.
- This kind of self-indulgent wordplay will probably delight those readers who equate inscrutability with intelligence, but it will deeply annoy those who simply want to understand.
- Example sentences
- Is it among the ones we see on television each night - the inscrutably hard mask of the professional soldier or the sharp eyes that a rebel's disguise cannot conceal?
- Some passages verge on the inscrutably cryptic.
- But the other fascinating thing about the movie is that the South is portrayed as both inscrutably evil, and attractive.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: in|scrut|able
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.