Definition of inscrutable in English:
Impossible to understand or interpret: Guy looked blankly inscrutable
More example sentences
- An inscrutable and incomparably powerful force permeates the Universe and binds it together.
- It is not some mysterious, inscrutable relation that beliefs bear to facts, whatever they might be.
- There is something inscrutable about the dragon, something that cannot be understood.
enigmatic, unreadable, impenetrable, mysterious, impossible to interpret, cryptic;
unexpressive, inexpressive, emotionless, unemotional, expressionless, impassive, blank, vacant, deadpan, dispassionate
mysterious, inexplicable, unexplainable, incomprehensible, beyond comprehension, beyond understanding, impossible to understand, unintelligible, impenetrable, unfathomable, fathomless, opaque, puzzling, perplexing, baffling, bewildering, confusing, abstruse, arcane, obscure
- Example sentences
- He stopped and turned back to look at her, not with a quizzical expression because he was trained not to display his emotions but with a stony face of impenetrable inscrutability.
- McQueen's beautiful, monosyllabic, slightly smug inscrutability is exemplified in his two major roles of 1968, the millionaire thief Thomas Crown and the almost silent cop Frank Bullitt.
- This kind of self-indulgent wordplay will probably delight those readers who equate inscrutability with intelligence, but it will deeply annoy those who simply want to understand.
- Example sentences
- Is it among the ones we see on television each night - the inscrutably hard mask of the professional soldier or the sharp eyes that a rebel's disguise cannot conceal?
- Some passages verge on the inscrutably cryptic.
- But the other fascinating thing about the movie is that the South is portrayed as both inscrutably evil, and attractive.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.