- 1An animal that feeds on insects, worms, and other invertebrates.More example sentences
- Gallus gallus is an herbivore and insectivore.
- It seems, however, that insectivores and fruit-eating omnivores exhibit different migration strategies, each with an associated suite of morphological and behavioral adaptations to overcome the physical challenges of migration.
- Omnivores and insectivores exhibit different fuel-use strategies to overcome the physiological challenges of migration.
- 1.1 Zoology A mammal of the order Insectivora.More example sentences
- All moles are insectivores and all of them are great tunnelers.
- Aside from the obvious connotation of a burrowing insectivore, a mole could also mean a small congenital growth on the human skin, usually slightly raised and dark and sometimes hairy.
- The insectivore hedgehog has an unclear evolutionary-rate pattern, as shown by the inconsistent results obtained with the two different tests.
mid 19th century: from modern Latin insectivorus, from insectum (see insect) + -vorus 'devouring', on the pattern of Latin carnivorus 'carnivorous'.
More definitions of insectivoreDefinition of insectivore in:
- The US English dictionary