1An animal that feeds on insects, worms, and other invertebrates.
- Gallus gallus is an herbivore and insectivore.
- It seems, however, that insectivores and fruit-eating omnivores exhibit different migration strategies, each with an associated suite of morphological and behavioral adaptations to overcome the physical challenges of migration.
- Omnivores and insectivores exhibit different fuel-use strategies to overcome the physiological challenges of migration.
1.1 Zoology A mammal of the order Insectivora.
- All moles are insectivores and all of them are great tunnelers.
- Aside from the obvious connotation of a burrowing insectivore, a mole could also mean a small congenital growth on the human skin, usually slightly raised and dark and sometimes hairy.
- The insectivore hedgehog has an unclear evolutionary-rate pattern, as shown by the inconsistent results obtained with the two different tests.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: in¦sect|ivore
Definition of insectivore in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.