verb (inspans, inspanning, inspanned)[with object] South African
- 1Yoke (draught animals, typically oxen) in a team to a vehicle: Duma inspanned sixteen of his best cattleMore example sentences
- The waentjies had functioning disselbooms, jukke and skeie complete with carefully cut riempies spantoue for inspanning the oxen.
- 1.1Harness an animal or animals to (a vehicle): the farmer inspanned his wagon and returned to MaritzburgMore example sentences
- The Boers charged the hill four times, and were inspanning wagons preparatory to a retreat, when our men were forced to fall back owing to their reserve.
- He ordered the wagons to be inspanned, but left where they were, and refused requests to allow them to be laagered.
early 19th century: from Dutch inspannen 'to stretch', from in- 'in' + spannen 'to span'.
More definitions of inspanDefinition of inspan in:
- The US English dictionary