- 1At once; immediately: she fell asleep almost instantlyMore example sentences
immediately, at once, straight away, right away, instantaneously, suddenly, abruptly, all of a sudden, on the instant, at a stroke, forthwith, then and there, there and then, here and now, this/that (very) minute, this/that instant; quickly, rapidly, swiftly, speedily, directly, without delay, promptly; in an instant, in a moment, in a (split) second, in a minute, in a trice, in a fraction of a second, in/like a flash, quick as lightning, like a shot, in a wink, in the blink of an eye, in the twinkling of an eye, in two shakes (of a lamb's tail), in (less than) no time, before you know it, on the double, at the speed of light, like an arrow from a bow; French tout de suite• informal in a jiffy, pronto, before you can say Jack Robinson, double quick, in double quick time, p.d.q. (pretty damn quick), like (greased) lightning, toot sweetIndian • informal ekdam
- My headache was even worse now so when I got back into the cabin I fell asleep almost instantly.
- The cheeses for export are coated with red wax, which makes them instantly recognizable.
- One of their films is instantly recognizable in a fashion that a Kazan film never is.
- 2 • archaic Urgently or persistently.More example sentences
- The sultan, to be assured of the truth, pleaded instantly.