- A phase between two periods of moulting in the development of an insect larva or other invertebrate animal.More example sentences
- When the eggs hatch, the caterpillar enters the first instar (stage of development).
- After the second moult, larvae preyed only on the first-instar nymphs of Libyaspis, while the larvae of later instars preyed on nymphs of a wide range of sizes.
- The larval stage consists of four phases, or instars, with a complete molt between each instar.
late 19th century: from Latin, literally 'form, likeness'.
More definitions of instarDefinition of instar in:
- The US English dictionary