- 1 (often instructions) A direction or order: he issued instructions to the sheriff he was acting on my instructionsMore example sentences
- Jones had given explicit instructions to his charges to behave earlier this week.
- Whether such an instruction qualifies the order to the bank or is directed to the payee is a question of fact.
- Finally the agent gives the woman the same instructions, ordering her to kill her husband.
- 1.1 (instructions) Law Directions to a solicitor or counsel, or to a jury.More example sentences
- She does not say what particular instructions the solicitors received.
- Equally, that is the proper time for his solicitors to receive such instructions.
- I read that in the papers somewhere that the trial judge actually gave some instructions to the jury about the role of the foreman.
- 1.2 Computing A code in a program which defines and carries out an operation.More example sentences
- Clock speed will show the number of instructions that a computer can execute in a second.
- Virtual memory uses an MMU to convert the virtual addresses that are used by program instructions to physical locations.
- Properly crafted computer instructions appended to the text will then be executed by the machine, giving hackers a way in.
- 2 (instructions) Detailed information about how something should be done or operated: always study the instructions suppliedMore example sentences
- Each person was given detailed information and instructions on how to contribute to the study.
- Once the explosives are ready, there are detailed instructions on how to make a suicide belt.
- As well as detailed, door-to-door instructions, it provides users with a range of additional services.
- 3 [mass noun] Teaching; education: instruction in the Roman Catholic faithMore example sentences
- The practical foundation of this policy has been the medium of instruction in primary schools.
- The loss of parental preference does not mean that a child has no access to educational instruction either in school or otherwise.
- The second model used Irish as the medium of instruction in schools either partially or fully.
- More example sentences
- The case studies showed that a variety of formal and informal activities crowd out instructional time.
- Call now, to get your informational packet and free instructional videotape!
- Some of them have already made recommendations on new pedagogy and instructional strategies.
late Middle English: via Old French from late Latin instructio(n-), from the verb instruere (see instruct).