- 1Serving as a means of pursuing an aim: the Society was instrumental in bringing about legislationMore example sentences
involved, active, influential, contributory; helpful, of help/assistance, useful, of use/service; significant, important; (be instrumental in) play a part in, contribute to, be a factor in, be (partly) responsible for, have a hand in; add to, help, promote, advance, further, forward, oil the wheels of, open the door for, be conducive to, make for; lead to, cause, give rise to• formal conduce to
- They went to war together and both were instrumental in a victory that many consider a defining moment in Canadian hockey history.
- A few well chosen elements of directorial interpretation are instrumental in making this production more suited to and enjoyable for its audience.
- The strategy, which was instrumental in Microsoft's victory in the so-called browser wars, is being replayed in the digital media market.
- 1.1Relating to something’s function as a means to an end: a very instrumental view of education and how it relates to their needsMore example sentences
- To some who hold an intrinsic view of education, instrumental education is nothing more than training.
- The process of naming brands of dope and the choice of images represented in dope stamps have a number of functions not related to the instrumental functions employed by users and distributors.
- They lead to an overly instrumental view of education that emphasizes the immediate needs of self-interested parties and programs of study that have economic returns.
- 2(Of music) performed on instruments, with no vocals: a largely instrumental pieceMore example sentences
- There follow three chapters dealing with other sources grouped by genre: sacred music, theatre music and vocal, keyboard and instrumental music.
- Concerts of vocal and instrumental music were given regularly.
- Although his musical output was modest, his vocal and instrumental music speaks in a highly personal voice.
- 2.1Relating to musical instruments: brilliance of instrumental colourMore example sentences
- A dense libretto, by the composer, and an expressionistic musical style, which searches out new instrumental colors, make this opera a masterpiece.
- It is music without any rhetoric or goal, in which periods of time (increasingly lengthy as he got older) are filled with washes of instrumental colour.
- If the score breaks no new ground for Glass, the fine brush strokes of instrumental color lend texture and atmosphere to every scene, especially in the first opera.
- 3Relating to an implement or measuring device: instrumental error instrumental delivery of a babyMore example sentences
- The distribution of true ages may be only approximated by the measured distribution, because the latter can be disturbed by fluctuations in measured age caused by instrumental error.
- In electronic devices, even a negligible instrumental error can totally degrade the system compared to electro-mechanical ones.
- The organoleptic quality of tomato fruit involves a set of attributes (flavour, aroma, texture) that can be evaluated either by sensory analyses or by instrumental measures.
- 4 Grammar Denoting or relating to a case of nouns and pronouns (and words in grammatical agreement with them) indicating a means or instrument.More example sentences
- In Russian, the instrumental case is used to indicate how something is done.
nounBack to top
- 1A piece of (usually non-classical) music performed by instruments, with no vocals: the opening tune is an instrumentalMore example sentences
- Her music presents instrumentals and melodies that blend classical, contemporary jazz, pop and African rhythms into a seamless style.
- It has a beautiful melody and instrumentals while Green sings of her love of music.
- With its haunting vocals and enchanting instrumentals, this song will leave you lusting for more.
- More example sentences
- They don't see themselves as illicit drug users, principally because they're using the drugs instrumentally - as tools rather than for recreational or hedonistic purposes.
- Regan argues that using animals instrumentally is wrong because animals share important psychological states and dispositions with humans.
- This is an album of bittersweet love stories expressed instrumentally - introspective, dreamy and impressionistic, yet joyful and exuberant.