Definition of insulin in English:
noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
1A hormone produced in the pancreas by the islets of Langerhans, which regulates the amount of glucose in the blood. The lack of insulin causes a form of diabetes.
- The pancreas secretes the hormone insulin which is the key to allowing glucose to enter the cells.
- When you eat carbohydrates your body produces insulin which regulates your blood sugar levels and helps your body store fat.
- If you give it to people with low blood sugar, both insulin and blood glucose levels improve.
1.1An animal-derived or synthetic form of insulin used to treat diabetes.
- Type I diabetes is treated by injections of insulin, which helps the body break down glucose, and a healthy diet.
- There are people here who are in need of insulin for their diabetes.
- I was glad that he was willing to restart the insulin, even if it was for the wrong reason.
Words that rhyme with insulinmasculine • globulin
Definition of insulin in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.