Definition of insulin in English:
noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
1A hormone produced in the pancreas by the islets of Langerhans, which regulates the amount of glucose in the blood. The lack of insulin causes a form of diabetes.
- The pancreas secretes the hormone insulin which is the key to allowing glucose to enter the cells.
- When you eat carbohydrates your body produces insulin which regulates your blood sugar levels and helps your body store fat.
- If you give it to people with low blood sugar, both insulin and blood glucose levels improve.
1.1An animal-derived or synthetic form of insulin used to treat diabetes.
- Type I diabetes is treated by injections of insulin, which helps the body break down glucose, and a healthy diet.
- There are people here who are in need of insulin for their diabetes.
- I was glad that he was willing to restart the insulin, even if it was for the wrong reason.
Definition of insulin in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan