- 1An arrangement by which a company or the state undertakes to provide a guarantee of compensation for specified loss, damage, illness, or death in return for payment of a specified premium: many new borrowers take out insurance against unemployment or sicknessMore example sentences
- Group health insurance in large companies protects the individual with costly conditions by including him with the less costly.
- Identity theft is becoming so widespread in the UK that many companies now offer insurance to protect against falling victim to this increasingly common type of fraud.
- The need for adequate protection through insurance is also on the rise.
- 1.1The business of providing insurance: Howard is in insuranceMore example sentences
- Mr Quinn, whose businesses include insurance and investment, is no stranger to big deals.
- He grew up in a modest home in Pittsburgh, where his father, Louis Jr., first worked in the family locksmith business and later in insurance.
- I've worked in a lot of businesses - insurance, clothing, construction materials, automobiles, telecom.
- 1.2Money paid for insurance: my insurance has gone upMore example sentences
- Lawyers fees, taxes and insurance must all be paid.
- He said increased overheads such as insurance, rents and service charges have resulted in some shops becoming unviable.
- Take a look at your expenses over the last year to get an idea of annual expenses, such as taxes, insurance and subscription services.
- 1.3Money paid out as compensation under an insurance policy: when will I be able to collect the insurance?More example sentences
- He stands accused of setting fire to the store to collect insurance on the building and its contents.
- The murders took place to collect insurance on slaves who were sick and dying and therefore would not, on reaching land, become marketable commodities.
- Why not just burn the kitchen down when I light the stove so I can collect insurance and spend it all on college tuition?
- 2A thing providing protection against a possible eventuality: jackets were hung on the back of their chairs, insurance against an encounter with air-conditioning [count noun]: a marquee was hired as an insurance against the weatherMore example sentences
- The additional altitude would give us a bit of insurance against a possible explosive mid-air meeting with one of our friends.
- It was designed not as a gambling arena, it was designed as insurance against the possibility you will not have enough savings.
- My husband's just had a phone call from the bank trying to sell him Card Protection insurance.
There is a technical distinction between insurance and assurance in the context of life insurance: see assurance (usage).