1Able to be understood; comprehensible: use vocabulary that is intelligible to your audience a barely intelligible reply
More example sentences
- Attendees are guaranteed that at least one-third of all words used will be intelligible to the general public.
- An examination structure, intelligible to pupils, parents and employers, must be a priority as a means of getting these proposals off the ground.
- The individual cannot make himself intelligible to anybody.
easy to understand, accessible, digestible, user-friendly;
lucid, clear, crystal clear, coherent, transparent, plain, simple, perspicuous, explicit, precise, unambiguous, self-explanatory, penetrable, fathomable, graspable
- Example sentences
- Are notes articulated clearly and intelligibly?
- The case can be put quite simply and intelligibly.
- During their second year, toddlers begin to talk intelligibly and by their second birthday they can happily chatter away.
Late Middle English (also in the sense 'capable of understanding'): from Latin intelligibilis, from intelligere 'understand' (see intelligent).
Words that rhyme with intelligibleeligible
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.