verb (intensifies, intensifying, intensified)
- 1Become or make more intense: [no object]: the dispute began to intensify [with object]: they had intensified their military campaignMore example sentences
- Still, analysts said it may need to expand overseas as competition intensified.
- The place to be these days is in one of the accession countries, as the focus on EU enlargement begins to intensify.
- A rush of warmth flowed through his body, and it quickly began to intensify, growing searingly hot.
- 2 [with object] Photography Increase the opacity of (a negative) using a chemical: the negative may be intensified with bichlorideMore example sentences
- The researchers say that increasing the amount of zirconium may intensify the color.
early 19th century: coined by Coleridge.