Definition of intercity in English:
1Existing or travelling between cities.
- City and intercity public transportation was halted following a strike by drivers on Thursday.
- Conceptually, intercity travel breaks down into five phases.
- But as for intercity travel in the 21st century, we should be looking forward to something like this.
1.1 (also trademark InterCity) Denoting express passenger rail services in the UK: one of the hourly InterCity services to Norwich
More example sentences
- A spokesman for Transport 2000, a campaigning group, said: ‘This is not good news for people who are using the railways other than those on the fast intercity routes.’
- The rail chaos which has gripped Britain has overshadowed the forthcoming billion pound franchise for one of the UK's major intercity routes from Scotland to London - the East Coast mainline.
- With this order, all intercity trains over 30 years old will be removed from the fleet, and modern trains will operate all inter-city services.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India