Definition of interference in English:
1The action of interfering or the process of being interfered with: concerns about government interference in church life [count noun]: an unwarranted interference with personal liberty
More example sentences
- Because of these findings we decided to design an assessment without possible interferences between the cognitive and metacognitive processes.
- He predicted: ‘Over the years, unique professional traditions and qualities come into being, which will give judges the strength and the power to ward off outside interferences.’
- Largely they are smart, know what they are doing, and can surely handle their lives independently and successfully without such interferences at least.
1.2(In ice hockey and other sports) the illegal hindering of an opponent not in possession of the puck or ball.
- The GAA has allowed physical interference off the ball as part of the game.
- The NHL should be applauded for yet another crackdown on obstruction and interference, which have damaged the entertainment value of the game severely.
- Obstruction and interference continue to infest the expansion-crazed NHL, but Roberts, Corson and Tucker can muck it up.
2 Physics The combination of two or more electromagnetic waveforms to form a resultant wave in which the displacement is either reinforced or cancelled.
- Atomic beams can act like light waves and exhibit all of the classic wave effects, like interference and refraction.
- In this case, the destructive interference occurs for waves traveling in most directions, but not for those ultimately heading toward the focal point.
- On the detecting screen we see a picture identical to one which is obtained from interference of waves.
2.1The fading or disturbance of received radio signals caused by unwanted signals from other sources, such as unshielded electrical equipment, or broadcasts from other channels.
- This makes wireless networks more immune to interference from other radio signals than if they transmitted on a single frequency.
- Every time you start your car ignition it causes interference to the radio band - so it's a very confusing technical issue.
- The said equipment must not cause interference to others.
Mid 18th century: from interfere, on the pattern of words such as difference.
- American Football Move in such a way as to cause interference.Example sentences
- Stubblefield is doing a lot of the dirty work, taking on blockers and running interference so his teammates can quickly close on the running backs.
- But it makes perfect sense if you think of them as blockers, running interference for Wilson.
- North American informal 1.1 Intervene on someone’s behalf, typically so as to protect them from distraction or annoyance: Elizabeth was quick to run interference and said that the Professor would be very busyMore example sentences
- In sharp contrast to the technology bust when law firms wanted to trim their ranks, many of today's firms are running interference in attempts to keep their associates from straying.
- Perhaps his worst infraction is this: He gets in the way, running interference to make sure that no other parasite-like creatures can be created on his watch.
- So he continues to lie shamelessly, secure in the knowledge that the mainstream media are running interference for him.
- Example sentences
- Ultra high frequency modalities, magnetic field generators, interferential and ultra sound are some of those most frequently employed.
- The low interferential current is the result of two interacting medium frequency current produced by IF units.
- Experiments conducted with a variety of text images showed that this algorithm is effective for removing interferential curve in text image.
Words that rhyme with interferenceadherence, appearance, clearance, coherence, perseverance
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan