Definition of interosseous in English:
1Situated between bones, in particular:
- It is attached to the cuboid by an interosseous ligament and to the cuboid and navicular bones by the strong bifurcate ligament.
- The sacroiliac ligament is a strong interosseous connection between the sacrum and ilium on the posterior surface.
- It is innervated by the anterior interosseous nerve and may be represented as the tibialis posterior of the leg.
1.1 Anatomy Of or denoting certain muscles of the hand and foot.
- The ulnar nerve also innervates the adductor pollicis and first dorsal interosseous muscles, which allow pinch.
- The palmer interosseous muscles adduct the fingers toward the axial line or the middle digit, and the dorsal interosseous muscles are abductors of the fingers.
- The dorsal interosseous muscles are larger than their plantar counterparts, are four in number, and fill the intermetatarsal spaces.
1.2Of or denoting certain arteries of the forearm.
- It may join the radial artery at the wrist, or if the radial stops short of the carpus the posterior interosseous artery may replace it.
- Still more rarely, it gives rise to the interosseous artery or a vas aberrans.
- The ulnar artery has been found taking a superficial course when arising in the usual situation, and in these cases also the recurrent and interosseous arteries may be given off by the radial trunk.
Definition of interosseous in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia