Pronunciation: /ɪntəˈsteɪt /
- 1Existing or carried on between states, especially of the US: interstate travelMore example sentences
- There's a novel idea, relocate some of the existing interstate clubs to Victoria, and I might get to see some finals action within 500 km of my home.
- Because of the distances involved, and the changes in railway gauges between the states, some 80-90% of Australian interstate trade was carried by sea.
- Reed defines them both as ‘professionals’ in the sense that they made a living primarily from carrying on interstate trade by sea for a significant period of their lives.
- 1.1US In a different state from one referred to or understood: their interstate rivalsMore example sentences
- There are also different nonpublic and interstate military organizations.
Pronunciation: /ˈɪntəsteɪt /Back to top
- (also interstate highway) One of a system of motorways running between US states: a picnic area just off the interstateMore example sentences
- It seemed like it took forever to get those highways, those interstates, those major expressways, all the lanes moving in one direction, away from Houston so that people could move at a much faster pace.
- First, while remembering that there are no freeways, highways, turnpikes or interstates, estimate the time you think it should take, keeping in mind getting-lost time.
- Driving too slowly can be just as dangerous as speeding, especially when entering or exiting interstates or freeways.
Pronunciation: /ɪntəˈsteɪt /Australian Back to top
- From one state to another: House for sale. Owner moving interstateMore example sentences
- If you travel interstate by public transport, you can avoid much inconvenience if you travel with only one piece of luggage, checked-in at least six hours before your journey.
- The exhibition will be on show in New South Wales for the next twelve months with the hope eventually it will travel interstate.
- Martin Stufkens is predicting the lettuce aphid will travel interstate this summer.
More definitions of interstateDefinition of interstate in:
- The US English dictionary