- The Palestinian uprising against Israeli occupation of the West Bank and Gaza Strip. The first intifada lasted from 1987 to 1993, and the second began in 2000.More example sentences
- Over 350 people have died since the beginning of the intifada, or Palestinian uprising, three months ago.
- The Palestinian intifada, or uprising, broke out two years ago this Saturday.
- One in four of the Palestinians killed in the intifada uprising against Israel, for example, have been Christians.
Arabic intifāḍa 'an uprising' (literally 'a jumping up as a reaction to something'), from intifaḍa 'be shaken, shake oneself'.
More definitions of intifadaDefinition of intifada in:
- The US English dictionary