Definition of intimism in English:
A style of painting showing intimate views of domestic interiors using impressionist techniques, used by artists such as Bonnard in the early 20th century.
- Far from twee though, these works are rooted in the gutsy intimism of Bonnard and Vuillard.
- Clearly, this is no accident of intimism, but the artist at play with ambiguity and abstraction.
- Mr. Tuttle's rapturous brand of intimism in the form of exquisite assemblages caress the walls of the Whitney Museum.
intimist adjective& noun
- Example sentences
- Static, balanced and hushed, this painting is both classical and intimist in spirit.
- Relying on this intimist perspective, Flam's discussions of individual paintings sometimes depart startlingly from others' readings of the same material.
- These intimist images project a color-saturated density that is unique in Seidman's work to date.
Early 20th century: from French intimisme, from Latin intimus 'innermost'.
Definition of intimism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.