adjectiveBotany & Zoology
- 1Turned inwards. The opposite of extrorse.More example sentences
- Anthers are introrse and fused longitudinally through many papillae, in such a way that they form a cuff around the ovary.
- Five introrse anthers are united to form a cylinder around the style while the separate filaments are attached to the base of the corolla tubes.
- 1.1(Of anthers) releasing their pollen towards the centre of the flower.More example sentences
- The ten stamens are introrse, and when elongate the anthers group in the upper part of the flower.
mid 19th century: from Latin introrsus, from introversus 'turned inwards'.
More definitions of introrseDefinition of introrse in:
- The US English dictionary