noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- A complex of sugar present in the roots of various plants and used medically to test kidney function. It is a polysaccharide based on fructose.More example sentences
- Prebiotics are complex carbohydrates - oligosaccharides, such as inulin and short-chain sugars.
- While neither sugar beet fiber nor inulin had a metabolic effect on the dogs, guar gum resulted in decreased postprandial insulin and fasting cholesterol.
- It contains taraxasterol, choline, inulin and pectin.
early 19th century: from Latin inula (identified by medieval herbalists with elecampane) + -in1.
More definitions of inulinDefinition of inulin in:
- The US English dictionary