1Of or concerned with investigating something: a special investigative committee to look into the strikers' demands
More example sentences
- If an investigative committee happens to be struck when the facts speak too loudly to be silenced, it's no big deal.
- To reach its conclusions, the investigative committee had to do a bit of digging.
- Pressure groups can appear as witnesses at the investigative hearings held by committees of Congress.
1.1(Of journalism or a journalist) inquiring intensively into and seeking to expose malpractice, the miscarriage of justice, or other controversial issues.
- I look forward, in the interests of justice and fearless investigative journalism, to future exposés.
- My next novel has a miscarriage of justice case but you won't find an investigative journalist or a copper in the background.
- How Bates financed this project is a question that has eluded some of the country's finest investigative business journalists.
Definition of investigative in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.