Definition of invigilate in English:
verb[no object] British
- In Kisumu, at least 100 teachers have rejected an offer by the Kenya National Examinations Council to invigilate and supervise examinations.
- They won't be invigilating at the examinations.
- Teachers will not invigilate at examinations and will not correct papers.
Mid 16th century (in the general sense 'watch over, keep watch'): from Latin invigilat- 'watched over', from the verb invigilare, from in- 'upon, towards' + vigilare 'watch' (from vigil 'watchful').
vigil from Middle English:
Vigil comes from Latin vigilia ‘wakefulness’, from vigil ‘awake’. It was first used for the night before a religious festival, when people might stay wakeful all night in prayer. Related words include vigilant (Late Middle English); vigilance (late 16th century); and vigilante (mid 19th century) adopted from a Spanish word with the literal meaning ‘vigilant’. Surveillance (early 19th century) is from the same root and is literally watching over something, also found when someone invigilates (mid 16th century) an exam.
- Example sentences
- Courses were run by the local centre, while university staff made regular visits for the purposes of moderation, invigilation and staff development.
- Further, his Honour Mr Justice Mason observed that his Honour Judge Phegan acquitted the appellant of negligence as regards the failure to provide around the clock invigilation.
- We will be following up this with, among other things, a boycott of all quality assurance procedures and processes, as well as a withdrawal from exam invigilation and a ban on marking.
- Example sentences
- Thanks to the local registrar, our local examiners, supervisors and invigilators who did an excellent job.
- When the journal Nature sent a team of invigilators to the laboratory, he was unable to replicate his findings.
- I have actually met some of the on-the-ground invigilators of the International Atomic Energy Agency, tough and cynical guys who say that the agreement is being properly observed.
Words that rhyme with invigilateflagellate • legislate
Definition of invigilate in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.