- 2 Botany A whorl or rosette of bracts surrounding an inflorescence (especially a capitulum) or at the base of an umbel.More example sentences
- The cupules are simple involucres of bracts which are spirally arranged (according to a Fibonacci pattern) on the floral axis preceding the flower.
- Basal leaves and flowers initiate from a tuberous rhizome and three green cauline leaves arranged in a whorl form an involucre around the developing flower.
- The Hermaphrodite cyathium shows the characteristics measured (length and width of the cyathium involucre and the nectary).
late 16th century: from French, or from Latin involucrum, from involvere 'roll in, envelop' (see involve).
More definitions of involucreDefinition of involucre in:
- The US English dictionary