Definition of iodine in English:
1The chemical element of atomic number 53, a non-metallic element forming black crystals and a violet vapour. (Symbol: I)
- The halogens are a group of chemical elements that includes fluorine, chlorine, bromine, iodine, and astatine.
- The chemical element iodine is a major component of thyroid hormones.
- These can be found through the detection of gases such as sulphur dioxide, hydrogen sulphide, and vapours of mercury, iodine, and radon.
1.1A solution of iodine in alcohol, used as a mild antiseptic.
- Identify landmarks and prepare the insertion site with iodine or alcohol solution.
- An iodophor/alcohol prep combines the benefits of iodine and alcohol in a water insoluble film.
- Apply ethanol, tincture or aqueous solution of iodine, if available.
Early 19th century: from French iode (from Greek iōdēs 'violet-coloured', from ion 'violet' + -eidēs 'like') + -ine4.
Words that rhyme with iodineundine
Definition of iodine in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.