Definition of iodine in English:
1The chemical element of atomic number 53, a non-metallic element forming black crystals and a violet vapour. (Symbol: I)
- The halogens are a group of chemical elements that includes fluorine, chlorine, bromine, iodine, and astatine.
- The chemical element iodine is a major component of thyroid hormones.
- These can be found through the detection of gases such as sulphur dioxide, hydrogen sulphide, and vapours of mercury, iodine, and radon.
1.1A solution of iodine in alcohol, used as a mild antiseptic.
- Identify landmarks and prepare the insertion site with iodine or alcohol solution.
- An iodophor/alcohol prep combines the benefits of iodine and alcohol in a water insoluble film.
- Apply ethanol, tincture or aqueous solution of iodine, if available.
Definition of iodine in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan