Definition of ionosphere in English:
The layer of the earth’s atmosphere which contains a high concentration of ions and free electrons and is able to reflect radio waves. It lies above the mesosphere and extends from about 80 to 1,000 km above the earth’s surface.
- The ionosphere is the layer extending from about 80 km to the outer reaches of the atmosphere that includes charged particles.
- The ionosphere reflects neither FM radio nor broadcast television, itself a part of the radio spectrum.
- This results in a powerful electric field between the cloud tops and the ionosphere, the outer layer of Earth's atmosphere.
- Example sentences
- Distance-dependent or spatially correlated errors due to ionospheric, tropospheric or satellite orbit effects can be more accurately modelled in a network approach.
- Although focussed on Canada in particular, those investigations would nevertheless shed light on northern ionospheric phenomena in general.
- The monitoring station in Poland is a key element, collecting ionospheric and Global Positioning System measurements information.
Words that rhyme with ionospherethermosphere
Definition of ionosphere in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia