noun[mass noun] Medicine
- A technique of introducing ionic medicinal compounds into the body through the skin by applying a local electric current.More example sentences
- Magnetic insoles have no demonstrated benefit, nor does therapeutic ultrasonography, laser therapy, iontophoresis, or electron-generating devices.
- Other delivery vehicles for topical anesthesia currently in development, including iontophoresis and anesthetic patches, may one day give patients and physicians even more flexibility.
- If symptoms are not relieved, physical therapy that includes ultrasonography, massage, and iontophoresis should be considered.
early 20th century: from ion, on the pattern of electrophoresis.
More definitions of iontophoresisDefinition of iontophoresis in:
- The US English dictionary