Definition of iron man in English:
1(Especially in sporting contexts) an exceptionally strong or robust man.
- What was the iron man of baseball doing in Kannapolis, N.C., of all places, retiring a No.3 jersey in honor of the late Dale Earnhardt?
- The guy is not glamorous, he really is very strong indeed, and a bit of an iron man when it comes to chess stamina.
- It is not beyond the bounds of reasonable possibility to suggest that the Ballymac iron man could add another notch or two to that belt in the years ahead.
1.1 (Ironman) [often as modifier] trademark A multi-event sporting contest demanding stamina, in particular a consecutive triathlon of swimming, cycling, and running.
- One day she'd like to compete in the Olympics and even the Ironman, the most arduous triathlon in the world.
- Among elite athletes who endure the intense swim-bike-run race called the Ironman, those leading the pack have a different mind-set than stragglers.
- I won the Ironman and Austria Grand Prix, but finished second at both the Arnold Schwarzenegger Classic and San Francisco Grand Prix.
Definition of iron man in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.