- 1Sedimentary rock containing a substantial proportion of iron compounds.More example sentences
- It is important to note that iron oxides in the ironstones and associated rocks are derived from the weathering of sulphides, mainly pyrite, that occur in less weathered rocks or in the subsurface.
- The ironstones are not sedimentary banded iron formation but formed as a consequence of silicification and sulphide mineralization along shear zones.
- In general terms, the sequences have a relatively simple transgressive-regressive pattern around a mid-cycle condensed interval represented by shellbeds, sideritic micritic limestones or ironstones.
- 2 [usually as modifier] A kind of dense, opaque stoneware.More example sentences
- For those who would visualize Adobe Walls as a hardscrabble place, it should be noted that the restaurant run by Mrs. Olds served its food on imported white English ironstone dishes.
More definitions of ironstoneDefinition of ironstone in:
- The US English dictionary