Definition of irrational in English:
1Not logical or reasonable: irrational feelings of hostility
More example sentences
- Power sets the guidelines by which we measure what is reasonable and what is irrational.
- The more irrational and illogical someone becomes, the more logical and incisive I become.
- By absurd, I do not mean silly, but absurd as is in the illogical or irrational.
1.1Not endowed with the power of reason.
- Whenever you encounter a system that seems so irrational, you should ponder what's going on beneath the surface.
- Man is an irrational being, morals are irrational, and have no metaphysical foundation which make them "real" or worth paying any attention to.
2 Mathematics (Of a number, quantity, or expression) not expressible as a ratio of two integers, and having an infinite and non-recurring expansion when expressed as a decimal. Examples of irrational numbers are the number π and the square root of 2.
- What about a seed angle derived from the golden ratio, an irrational number?
- The square root of 2 is an irrational number because it can't be written as a ratio of two integers.
- How can mathematical concepts like points, infinitesimally small quantities, or irrational numbers be anything but products of our minds?
nounMathematics Back to top
An irrational number or quantity; a surd.
- Eudoxus's definition of equal ratios corresponds exactly to the modern theory of irrationals.
- Whether such quirks in the irregularity of irrationals have any implications for number theory remains an open question for mathematicians.
- His commentary to Euclid is of interest because of its discussion of unordered irrationals.
irrationalize (also irrationalise) verb
- Example sentences
- When one thinks of planar travel the mind can often be boggled, confused, deceived and irrationalized.
- The absence of knowledge affects human behaviour by reducing, distorting, and irrationalising the choices made by individuals.
- I have reason to believe that she is about to irrationalize thinking on every issue.
Words that rhyme with irrationalnational, passional, rational
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.