Definition of irredentist in English:
noun[usually as modifier]
1A person advocating the restoration to their country of any territory formerly belonging to it.
- The irredentist ideology was eventually exacerbated by the fascist regime, which used it as an ideological mask for its expansionist policy.
- The church was raided once again, and irredentist slogans were written on the wall of an adjacent building.
- It is an imperialist, irredentist, totalitarian state that will use any means to get its way.
1.1 historical (In 19th-century Italian politics) an advocate of the return to Italy of all Italian-speaking districts subject to other countries.
- A second development was a general popular nationalist revival, which in particular brought Italian irredentist claims against Austria to the fore.
- First, Italy was obliged to renounce its irredentist claims against Austria.
From Italian irredentista, from (Italia) irredenta 'unredeemed (Italy)'.
- Example sentences
- The state in Northern Ireland had always massively armed its Protestant population, as much to canalize potential vigilantism as to control nationalist irredentism.
- It is true that, as Jonathan Bardon states, Lemass abandoned the overt irredentism of previous governments.
- Increased Italian irredentism and renewed competition over eastern expansion put Italy and Austria on a collision course.
Definition of irredentist in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan