Definition of irredentist in English:
noun[usually as modifier]
1A person advocating the restoration to their country of any territory formerly belonging to it.
- The irredentist ideology was eventually exacerbated by the fascist regime, which used it as an ideological mask for its expansionist policy.
- The church was raided once again, and irredentist slogans were written on the wall of an adjacent building.
- It is an imperialist, irredentist, totalitarian state that will use any means to get its way.
1.1 historical (In 19th-century Italian politics) an advocate of the return to Italy of all Italian-speaking districts subject to other countries.
- A second development was a general popular nationalist revival, which in particular brought Italian irredentist claims against Austria to the fore.
- First, Italy was obliged to renounce its irredentist claims against Austria.
from Italian irredentista, from (Italia) irredenta 'unredeemed (Italy)'.
- Example sentences
- The state in Northern Ireland had always massively armed its Protestant population, as much to canalize potential vigilantism as to control nationalist irredentism.
- It is true that, as Jonathan Bardon states, Lemass abandoned the overt irredentism of previous governments.
- Increased Italian irredentism and renewed competition over eastern expansion put Italy and Austria on a collision course.
Definition of irredentist in:
- US English dictionary