Definition of irredentist in English:
noun[usually as modifier]
1A person advocating the restoration to their country of any territory formerly belonging to it.
- Would you rather be party to a bit of irredentist nationalism?
- Politically, such action takes the form of autonomist, separatist and irredentist movements.
- The problem with going back to war, as even the most irredentist republicans admit, is that defeat is the likeliest result.
1.1 historical (In 19th-century Italian politics) an advocate of the return to Italy of all Italian-speaking districts subject to other countries.
- A second development was a general popular nationalist revival, which in particular brought Italian irredentist claims against Austria to the fore.
- First, Italy was obliged to renounce its irredentist claims against Austria.
- Example sentences
- The state in Northern Ireland had always massively armed its Protestant population, as much to canalize potential vigilantism as to control nationalist irredentism.
- It is true that, as Jonathan Bardon states, Lemass abandoned the overt irredentism of previous governments.
- Increased Italian irredentism and renewed competition over eastern expansion put Italy and Austria on a collision course.
From Italian irredentista, from (Italia) irredenta 'unredeemed (Italy)'.
Definition of irredentist in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.