Definition of irrepressible in English:
Not able to be controlled or restrained: an irrepressible rogue a great shout of irrepressible laughter
More example sentences
- We will be able to continue to manage without Ken's irrepressible scaremongering for the foreseeable future.
- They were also usually, if not always, a restraining influence on the more abrasive, if not irrepressible side of Mercer.
- I'm sure I can only begin to imagine what a parent can feel to have their child ripped away from their lives by irrepressible crime.
inextinguishable, unquenchable, uncontainable, uncontrollable, unstoppable, indestructible, imperishable, undying, unfading, unfailing, enduring, lasting, everlasting, eternal, persistent
ebullient, exuberant, buoyant, sunny, breezy, jaunty, light-hearted, in high spirits, high-spirited, bubbling over, sparkling, effervescent, vivacious, animated, full of life, lively, vigorous, zestful, joyful, cheerful, cheery, merry
North American informalpeart
- Example sentences
- There is such an irrepressibility to him, such a vibrancy, it seems as though he has just left a party, a joyous occasion, to meet you and the music and the laughter are still ringing in his ears.
- Flintoff exemplified the power of personality and his irrepressibility by dismissing Sarwan, the man of the tournament, with his first ball.
- But today none the less marks a triumph of huge import, signaling America's and New York's irrepressibility.
- Example sentences
- And because these old motorcycles are so particular to the rough-and-ready, irrepressibly hip East Village, the riders are also partisan.
- ‘An irrepressibly buoyant Tory right-winger propositioned me back in the days when they were invincible’.
- Apparently it was talent, determination and an irrepressibly optimistic spirit that won this vivacious young woman the role.
Words that rhyme with irrepressibleaccessible, compressible, impressible, inexpressible, repressible
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.