Definition of irritable in English:
1Having or showing a tendency to be easily annoyed: she was tired and irritable
More example sentences
- She seemed irritable, and annoyed with my every move.
- The wait would grate so terribly on my nerves that I could easily be irritable for days afterwards, but that particular drive was different.
- Will asked, starting to get annoyed, the pain in his head making him more irritable.
bad-tempered, irascible, tetchy, testy, touchy, scratchy, grumpy, grouchy, moody, crotchety, in a (bad) mood, cantankerous, curmudgeonly, ill-tempered, ill-natured, ill-humoured, peevish, having got out of bed the wrong side, cross, as cross as two sticks, fractious, disagreeable, pettish, crabbed, crabby, waspish, prickly, peppery, crusty, splenetic, shrewish, short-tempered, hot-tempered, quick-tempered, dyspeptic, choleric, bilious, liverish, cross-grained
Australian/New Zealand informal snaky
2 Medicine (Of a body part) abnormally sensitive.
- I still have irritable bowels though and sometimes the pain keeps me up at night.
- Because their skin is inherently irritable, patients with atopic diseases may not tolerate topical retinoids, even if they apply a moisturiser.
- The drugs that treat asthma either relax the bronchial spasm, or reduce the inflammation that makes the bronchial tubes swollen and irritable to minor irritants.
2.1(Of a condition) caused an abnormally sensitive body part: the seeds have been reputed to help conditions such as irritable bladder
More example sentences
- General primary care nurses were trained to deliver cognitive behaviour therapy to patients with irritable bowel syndrome
- But acupuncture works well for certain kinds of conditions and irritable bladder syndrome is one of them.
- It has been shown to sooth irritable coughs and other respiratory problems.
- Example sentences
- For the next month male deer will be irritably scratching and shaking their heads until their majestic antlers fall off.
- He looked down irritably at the mess, then defiantly at me, and walked on, passing a litter bin without so much as a glance.
- There are no insufferable people socializing irritably around their outdoor dining tables.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.