Definition of irrupt in English:
1Enter somewhere forcibly or suddenly: absurdities continually irrupt into the narrative
More example sentences
- Derrida irrupted into Western philosophy from the repressed margin of the imperial West.
- Neither the Great Depression nor the Second World War dampened the impetus with which Argentina irrupted into the twentieth century.
- War irrupts convulsively into the history of civilizations as a loss of control, partially managed by competing political interests.
1.1(Of a bird or other animal) migrate into an area in abnormally large numbers.
- After protests by many, the horticultural industry developed a sterile hybrid with the same luscious cadmium blossoms but no ability to irrupt.
- But climate change, restoration, biotechnology, and irrupting species have forced ecologists to consider what was, in order to imagine what ought to be.
- My neighbors in Tucson, for instance, planted South African sweet gum that irrupted into the Sonoran desert and covered cactus and other indigenous shrubs.
mid 19th century: (earlier ( mid 16th century) as irruption) from Latin irrupt- 'broken into', from the verb irrumpere, from in- 'into' + rumpere 'break'.
- Example sentences
- This object, aligned with Evil, is a thing of desire for us, an outlet for the irruption of Evil.
- He nailed me for calling it a migration as opposed to an irruption.
- They undergo almost cyclical irruptions across portions of their winter range, which may be associated with conifer seed crops.
- Example sentences
- Such a temporal event is something irruptive and unpredictable, both in its causes and effects.
- The rest of their career - thirteen years! - played out in the shadow of its irruptive beginning.
- Snowy Owls are migratory, nomadic, and irruptive.
Definition of irrupt in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia