noun (plural ischia /ˈɪskɪə/)
The curved bone forming the base of each half of the pelvis.
- After further dissection, the surgeon exposes the pubic bone and identifies the ischium by palpation.
- The inferior, posterior portion of the coxal bone is the ischium.
- The pelvic component of the hip joint is called the acetabulum, which has contributions from the ischium, ilium and pubis.
- Example sentences
- The sacrotuberous ligament is a cartilaginous attachment of the sacrum to the ischial tuberosity.
- Defect or nonunion of the pubic and ischial rami is occasionally observed.
- In adolescent patients with a history of proximal hamstring injury and current ischial tenderness, a radiograph of the pelvis should be performed.
Early 17th century: from Latin, from Greek iskhion 'hip joint', later 'ischium'.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: is|chium
Definition of ischium in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.