- 1A kind of gelatin obtained from fish, especially sturgeon, and used in making jellies, glue, etc. and for fining real ale.More example sentences
- The animal kingdom was represented by gelatin in the form of meat stock; isinglass; and hartshorn.
- Antonin poured the thickening isinglass alternately into the fruit juice and the almond milk.
- Sometimes the wood surface was prepared with a coating of gesso or isinglass diluted in water with a little white pigment added.
mid 16th century: alteration (by association with glass) of obsolete Dutch huysenblas 'sturgeon's bladder', from huysen 'sturgeon' + blas 'bladder'.
More definitions of isinglassDefinition of isinglass in:
- The US English dictionary