- A curved chain of volcanic islands located at a tectonic plate margin, typically with a deep ocean trench on the convex side.More example sentences
- The basalt-chert succession points more probably to an island arc developed on oceanic crust.
- One model predicts tectonic wedging of the Solomon island arc beneath the Ontong Java plateau.
- These units originated as an oceanic plateau possibly formed atop an island arc before being accreted onto the Cordilleran orogen.
More definitions of island arcDefinition of island arc in:
- The US English dictionary