nounchiefly • literary
- An island or peninsula, especially a small one: Crusoe’s fabled isle [in place names]: the British IslesMore example sentences
- This house is set on the side of a low wooded hill overlooking Lough Gill and the lake isle of Innisfree.
- There are the Bikini Islanders, a gentle people who consider the tiny isle their home.
- As my thinking cap is keeping me positive, the emerald isle moves me.
Middle English ile, from Old French, from Latin insula. The spelling with s (also in 15th-century French) is influenced by Latin.
More definitions of isleDefinition of isle in:
- The US English dictionary